CUT THE BS OUT OF QUARTER-LIFE CRISIS

by - Thursday, November 17, 2016


Btw, what is quarter-life crisis?

Quarter-life crisis is a period of life ranging from twenties to thirties, in which a person begins to feel doubtful about their own lives, brought on by the stress of becoming an adult. The term was coined by analogy with midlife crisis.

Source: Wikipedia

Adulting sucks. Yeah, I know - quarter-life crisis included. Honestly, everyone's gonna go through this thing. Srsly, you can't just skip this part. Besides, this is a crucial milestone you'd be sorry if you missed. It's a prerequisite to becoming a decision-making capable and successful young adult you see yourself to be. No need to panic. No one's got it all figured out. Bear in mind, you are not alone. Somehow, we're all facing this tedious battle with a lot of different ways we can deal and cope with.

As for me, I've had it bad. I suffered severe anxiety attacks and depression and trouble sleeping at night brought by overthinking and overworrying. The doctor prescribed me sleeping pills. Maybe she wanted me to stop thinking already for crying out loud. I was terrified AF. Post grad, I had no idea, even up to this point, what to do with my life. I was so overwhelmed with the fact that I'm out there on my own now trying to act like a decent human being as I possibly could muster. Some of my friends are already working abroad or pursuing what goddamn dreams they have and some got engaged, married even, while I'm stuck in a shit hole, indecisive, clueless, lost, confused, and miserable (insert all negative emotions here).

I slept on life and drank myself to death to fill the void. I felt nothing except apathy. I felt worse than shit calculating what little to none I've accomplished in my life and alarmed with time running out on me.

Do you feel nostalgic over high school and college when everything was so simple? If you don't feel like going to school, you can just as easily skip class, play billiards with friends, go to the mall, or just stay at home lying in bed. You can do whatever you want to. Easy peasy!

Do you also find yourself saying things like, remember 5 years ago, back in college, and you halt for a second there... woah wooah what?!, it's been 5 years already? What the hell. That moment when you realized you've squandered half the time in your 20s and then cry bloody murder. Okay, relax. Calm down. Think. (Smash face on the wall).

Now you loom over the question, "what if I fuck up my life?" The you're-supposed-to-be-something-at-age-25 idea plagues your mind, but entirely nothing has changed.

ANTIDOTE:

There's no magic potion to make this go away. You've gotta face this on your own. Balls it up.

First, don't compare yourself to others. Life isn't a race. Work at your own pace. Stop defining yourself based on what others have achieved.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. In James Joyce's words, "mistakes are portals of discovery."

Introspect. Get to know yourself more. What you want out of life. What you're passionate about. What you want to become and work on it.

Set goals or timeline on what you want to achieve and how you want to achieve it.

Stop doing nothing. Stop procrastinating.

Stop making excuses.

Embrace an attitude of gratitude.

Worry not, you’re going to be just fine.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.